Tuesday, February 14, 2006

 

Christian Business Leaders?

So I'm reading my copy of Harvard Business Review today and several of the articles are pointing to the need for leaders to be tough and shrewd, almost machiavellian. One article is case study highlighting a guy who is not going to make it to the top slot because he's not tough enough - he's too nice. Another is championing the "Great Intimidators" — those leaders who use political savvy, intimidation and manipulation to get their organizations to perform.

In sharp contrast, yesterday, I'm reading Guy Kawasaki's blog where he advocates that we all need to strive to "be a mensch", that is, someone who unselfishly looks to be of help those around him. When I read this, I thought to myself, "Yes, a business man who has his priorities straight. This is the example we should strive for". However after reading the HBR article, I think, "Am I just being a chump here"? Do nice guys really finish last in today's business world?

They may or they may not, but the choice for me is clear. I'd rather the world say I was a mensch at the end of my life than a great CEO. I'd rather have my Father in heaven say, "Well done, good and faithful servant" than get a slap on the back and a seat at the table with the board. I also have a theory (experiment in process) that says there are no successful CEOs with a good family life. I know they're rumored to be out there and you even see some chronicled on tv or in the press, but I've yet to meet any. I've met some good CEOs with no family life and some good family men who weren't CEOs, let alone good ones. :)

Bottom line. I'm still looking for that role model, mentor, shining example of someone who has found the balance and has the talent to execute being a good CEO and good father and husband. If you find one, let me know.

Until tomorrow,
Seeker

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?